About Me

My photo
I am looking to share my love of cooking, tips, recipes and remixes with others.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Warm Summer Breeze Blows.....I slip into the world of The Hobbit

The warm summer breeze blows; with the rays shinning on my back, I begin to daydream as I turn the pages of my favorite book.  I look into the distance and see not only the view but the window to the shire so colorfully painted int he first pages of The Hobbit.

Bilbo describes the knoll in which he has built his home; surrounded by the roaming hills of the shire, with blooming wild flowers, the warm scented summer air and the bubbling brook that runs along in the near distance. He sits on a log at the end of the path, smoking his pipe, he begins to describe the adventure of his life.

I can picture myself there; for I have a similar background living downeast secluded from major towns and cities, I am certainly in a country setting such as he. My back yard is wooded, with a brook that runs along the edge, with great brook fish.  The side yard contains plush grash, just like the knoll of the shire; birds singing, the wildfowers growing in bunches, with an occasional passerby of horse and buggy or the neighbors coming bearing fresh bakes pies or a cassarole.

In the Hobbit, Bilbo also describes his neighbors, his friends and his experiences with the wizards and fantastical creatures with vididness. I often day dream as I read on that my family, friends and neighbors transform into the characters leaping from the pages of the book.

I read this book as a young teenager and to this day the story sticks with me like superglue.  I was not much of a reader, prefered to listen to the radio or conversation with my friends and family.  This book was a joy to experience and I made sure that I read each page with great attention and experience to make it last.

Even thought the tale has been told and re written and made into a series of movies nothing is more relevant in my opinion than the orginal, classic tale of The Hobbit.

1 comment:

  1. I heard this book read aloud when I was 11 or 12. I know I'm in the minority, but it never appealed to me then and a few years later when all my cohort was smoking dope and reading Lord of the Rings, I never even gave it a look. Nor the movies.

    So, when I say that I think this introduction is charming, warm, gentle, sweet, and inviting, you will understand that I am paying it a big compliment. I'd rather read your introduction than ever have to read Tolkien!

    ReplyDelete