About Me

My photo
I am looking to share my love of cooking, tips, recipes and remixes with others.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Top Easy Bake Oven Chef:) (Expertise)

I opened the brightly colored wrapping paper; decorated with candy canes and Christmas candies, to reveal a box of familiarity from a trip to the department store weeks earlier with my dad. It was an Easy Bake Oven, overjoyed; full of excitement I broke into the box, empty the entire contents onto the floor, ignoring all the other gifts and fragmented wrapping paper that I had already tore through. Quickly organizing and searching for the instruction book, I could not wait to start my adventures baking and exploring the wonderful world of the light bulb.

I set up shop at the end of the counter in the kitchen, placing the Easy Bake Oven at the end; in the draw beneath held the small pans and the baking packages that come with the starter set. I read each box in complete trance and followed the directions to the T without deviation.  The outcome each and every time was perfection, a tasty experience for all. However; after several days that came to an end when I opened my last box of cupcake mix, what to do now.  I was not willing to give up, not willing to except that this would be the end of my glorious adventure in light bulb baking:)

Reading the basic ingredients of the Easy Bake mixes, I realized that the contents incorporated the contents of our kitchen, with the exception of the fillers and big words I could not pronounce. I began to read the contents on the boxes in the pantry;things like the Bisquick, Jiffy box, staples in my mothers shopping trips. I found they contained the same or similar ingredients as the Easy Bake boxes.

I began to experiment with he contents of the pantry and formulated a recipe that to this day I still use as a staple to my baking forte. It is two cups of Bisquick mix, one cup Hersey baking chocolate powder, two eggs, one stick of butter and a 1/4 milk, blend till creamy and smooth. Take and divide batter into cup cake pans and bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes until you can poke with a tooth pick and remove dry. For the frosting you can take two cups of powdered sugar and one stick of room temp butter and blend to make butter cream frosting;) Have to admit that over a period of time, when I first began to experiment with the contents of the pantry,that all Easy Bake Oven experiences were not successful. I did not let this deter me from my passion to become an expert:) I did have times that I wondered if I would ever be able to get the burnt, charred, crusted mix off the pans. There were many times I wondered if I forgot an ingredient or used more of one item and not enough of another.

My experience with the Easy Bake Oven has educated me and I have now moved up to the Big Girl Oven, finding myself very proficient in its use. I have also graduated to recipes and ingredients not all under one label, moving away from the Bisquick Mixes. Now wondering if I could actually be competition on some of these shows on Food Network, baking with the best. Watch out Food Network, I am the next Star:)

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, you peeked ahead! I'm going to hold off on commenting or even reading this until I've posted the lecture material and sample next weekend--not because I'm lazy (I'm not) and not because I don't want you to do the rest of the semester in the next two days (well, actually, I don't) but because half my teaching is my reaction to the writing, but the other half is definitely offering lecture, explanation, and sample.

    So, after you see that stuff you can leave this as us or modify it, and I will do my usual, probably next Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here I am, Sunday A.M., just as promised.

    I'd say this is lighter on the expertise side of things, heavier on the childhood memoir/process of your baking education side.

    Still, it's a tight production, where you have everything under control: voice, development, tone, structure, detail, humor. It reads as if you enjoyed writing it and that pleaasure communicating itself to the reader is nothing to be sneezed at, nor is that control I mention, which is not always a given.

    The only thing that doesn't work is the close--to suddenly address the reader and to use the name of a particular person perhaps not known to your audience are signs that the piece has run out of the early inspiration that otherwise powers it along.

    ReplyDelete