About Me

My photo
I am looking to share my love of cooking, tips, recipes and remixes with others.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

From Up Here I See A Sprout (Nature Descriptive)

I am sitting here with my cup of coffee in one hand and the garden hoe in the other. The smell of the morning has started to evaporate the dew, you can almost hear it as a slight sizzle.  I venture towards the flower bed all tucked in by the brown paper bag looking leaves that have provided the blanket for the winter.

As I remove the leaves the smell of earthy soil I already see the peaks of sprouts from the bulbs evidently I missed digging up last fall. The earth worms have also come to visit they quickly wind across the newly tussled soil looking for the escape back under.
Putting the pile of leaves and other items I have now cleared from the bed into a bag, tie it off and move on to the next. As I return to the flower bed I can not believe how in just that short of time the sprouts are now no long transluscent but pale green, almost like a green bean that has gotten water logged.

Uncovering the area I have also come across a small pile of bricks and have decided to use them as a boundary around the outside of the flower bed area.  The bricks have a weathered look and add nicely to the look of the area. As I place the last brick I glance at my watch to see over an hour has passed and almost like lapse time photography the sprouts are not green, not translucent, not even water logged.

Taking a moment I sit and ponder on how I will continue, do I want to go and purchase flowers, seeds, shrubbery or do I want to let the sprouts grow for I do not remember what they may present. A squirl has now come down and is lurking just slightly to my left and is chattering almost trying to add his opinion or to yell at me for disturbing his personal space.

I have taken a water fountain of Lilly leaves that has been sitting under the porch all winter and has tarnished just slightly with almost a mildew coloring. I place it in the center of the flower bed atop of a pile of broken various sized bricks, hmmm this looks really nice. I am trying not to take away from a focal point wanting the bed and the flowers to be the stars.

These sprouts do not need miracle grow, now they are almost smiling on the verge of having grown almost in a moment. I have been so blindsided by the sprouts that I am now just noticing that I have cleaned up this entire section of the yard and it is now lunch time.

My daughter just yelled from the porch " is it not bad enough that you have OCD cleaning the house, do you have to do it to the yard too"  You have been no help, I have done it all myself, just like the lazy sprouts that have been hiding under the blanket of leaves she decides to grace me with her presence after pulling herself out of bed at noon.

Sitting here now I hear birds and the squirrels tussling through the trees, the neighbors dog barking at the kids now playing in the yard across the street.  There still sit the sprouts, several of them and I have decided to let them have their day.  I am going to wait to add anything additionally to the flower bed.

There done for today, I am sitting here while the dogs run in the yard just like the sprouts that have been release you would think the dogs had just been given a new leash:) on life as well.  Yelling at them (the dogs) I warn them to stay away from from the flower bed. I feel accomplished  and I look forward to the days to come and the changes (glad I am not talking dirty sheet) that the flower bed will hold.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very satisfying piece of work: the reader feels your utter confidence in the material, your approach, your choice of detail, your ability to observe and describe. It is all done with great grace and a very engaging light humor.

    It's the kind of thing I particularly admire: insteadd of dealing with a lot of things or a broad canvas, you take something very small and unimportant and carefully peel back layer after layer, showing us its real significance. I much prefer 'deep' writing as opposed to 'wide' writing.

    I really have very little else to say--sometimes the good news is just good, whereas the bad news has a million different angles to get out into the air. This is the good news, very good news, the gospel of clean, clear writing.

    ReplyDelete