About Me

My photo
I am looking to share my love of cooking, tips, recipes and remixes with others.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Memoirs Of A Special Woman Take Two

There are man important people in ones life, those who make a lasting impression, whether its one you choose to remeber or one you choose to forget. For me I choose to rember one very special, extradinary, exampluary woman; who I am proud to say I am like her in many ways.

Growing up in Middltown there was an icon not only in the town but in my life, my grandmother. From as early as I can rember she was a the center of everything. Our family nucleous, she was the pillar to all in good times and bad. Her strength; inuition and raw waitress demeanor allowed her to handle many situation with fluidity.

These traits were never more prevelant to me than the winter of 1972 when a sever storm hit our town, forcing my family out of our home and into a small efficentcy apartment in town to weather the storm. I being just eight years old worried how Santa would find us if we were not home for Christmas.  My grandmother assured me that all would be okay and that Santa would find us no matter where we were staying.  Most children at that young tender age would be skeptical of anyone stating that Santa would find you no matter what, I was not for I had come to have great faith in what ever my grandmother said. She had never said anyting that I did not find to be true or directional.

It was Christmas eve; I rember my granmother picking us up and on the car ride told us we were on our way home. She had held true to her word; tucking us in that night assured me that in the morning Santa would have had no problems finding me. I awoke the next morning to find a tree that was not there the night before; presents piled high and breakfast on the table.  I found out many years later as a teen the true story.

My grandmother had pulled her resources and my family together; aunts, uncles, extended family and friends to make sure that I and my sister would have the best Christmas ever.  She was Santa; putting gifts together, finding the largest tree ever, decorating, cooking and managing to get it all done in the few hours as Sugar Plums danced in my head.  I know it sounds like the pages of a Christmas Carol, but honestly true and very real.

As I started to write this essay I tried to find a moment; a story, a phrase, a blink in time to descrie this woman and there were dozens and dozens to choose from. I did however, keep coming to this memory or the woman I am so proud to say has made a lasting inpression forever in my life. Now I only hope to inspire my own daughter to have those memories of me or a special person that makes such an impression it leaves a permanent mark in her life and my grandmother did mine.

1 comment:

  1. This is strong--it's got focus, an anecdote, a bit of suspense, a little tug at the heartstrings. But what I like best is this: "As I started to write this essay I tried to find a moment; a story, a phrase, a blink in time to descrie this woman...."

    I hassle students in 101 all the time for stock phrases like 'I am not going to give you three reasons why blah blah' or 'So in summary let me conclude by saying....'

    Those announcements never work. Well--you've done something totally different, but superficially it might seem to be the same. What you've done is not speak to your reader as if you were making a speech--instead, you've made a meta-comment on the process, on how you thought and felt while writing the piece. It's a genuine comment and a good one, and the exact opposite of the blah blah filler I describe above.

    It may sound like a little thing to make such a fuss about and celebrate, but, hey, that's what English teachers are all about.

    ReplyDelete